Weston Hurd has a long history in representing local governments. At various times, the firm has represented numerous Ohio counties including Mahoning, Portage, Summit, Cuyahoga and Wayne. A large number of Northeast and Central Ohio cities have also been represented by the firm.
The firm’s work runs the gamut of issues that local governments face. The following are illustrative of the depth of the firm’s representation of political subdivisions and/or public entities:
- Represented a sheriff and coroner on a number of litigation matters in the United States District Court.
- Represented an Ohio county during the time of civil rights litigation involving jail conditions, as well as all the commissioners, the judges of the courts of common pleas and the municipal court judges.
- Represented an Ohio city in a federal matter involving the Voting Rights Act Section 2 in the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio.
- Handle all issues related to municipal liability for the various cities it represents, representing the cities in both state and federal courts. Matters have included:
- Civil rights
- Construction claims
- FMLA retaliation and sex and race discrimination
- Fourth Amendment
- Municipal negligence
- Personal injury and negligence
- Race discrimination in the hiring process
- Real estate and trespass claims