Law enforcement and regulatory authorities at the federal and state level are increasingly affecting all walks of life — from the public sector to the private sector. The scrutiny, investigation and prosecution that may result from questionable commercial activity can lead to severe criminal penalties. As a result, clients need legal counsel that understands the complexity and potential exposure that these claims may cause. At Weston Hurd, the Criminal & White Collar Defense/Compliance attorneys have significant experience in providing effective legal counsel to aggressively defend clients who become the subject of a criminal or regulatory inquiry.
Our attorneys represent businesses, individuals and federal regulatory agencies on complex criminal and quasi-criminal matters initiated at the federal, state and local level from the investigation stage through trial and, if necessary, through the appeal process.
The law gives everyone an opportunity to settle disputes and solve problems in a just manner. When faced with a criminal or white collar matter, clients will receive practical advice and cost-efficient representation with the goal of saving the client money and solving the problems. Advice and insights are also provided to clients to help them avoid future problems.
The Criminal & White Collar Defense/Compliance attorneys defend clients in complex white collar crimes including:
- Bank Fraud
- Computer Crimes
- Conspiracy and RICO Offenses
- Corporate Investigations
- Fraud and Bribery Offenses
- Liquidation of Financial Institutions
- Money Laundering
- Mortgage Fraud
- Public Corruption
- Securities Fraud
- Tax Fraud
In addition, the attorneys defend federal and state felony and misdemeanor crimes and handle cases involving:
- Domestic Violence
- Drug Trafficking and Other Drug Abuse Offenses
- DUI/OVI and Other Traffic Related Offenses
- Homicide and Assault
- Sexually Oriented Offenses
- Theft and Fraud Offenses
- Vehicular Homicide and Vehicular Assault
Representative matters handled by the Criminal & White Collar Defense/Compliance attorneys include:
- Business executive on federal corruption charges in the Cuyahoga County Corruption Investigation.
- Doctors and nurses accused of health care fraud.
- Business owners and executives of a multi-million dollar company in an investigation involving allegations of unfair consumer practices, mail fraud, wire fraud, and illegal advertising practices.
- Mortgage refinancing company in a matter involving criminal and civil allegations of software copyright violations.
- Top individual defendant in Michigan federal mortgage fraud case ranked as one of the largest in the United States (allegations of over $100 million in fraud).
- Real estate broker on allegations of mortgage fraud in Cuyahoga County, which included state criminal RICO, receiving stolen property, and tampering with records charges.
- Individual in nationally publicized case involving murder for hire.
- Individuals against allegations of securities fraud, alleged ponzi schemes, and other investment misconduct.
- Companies and individuals who have received subpoenas from local prosecutors, U.S. Attorneys, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Postal Inspector, and other regulatory agencies involving criminal investigations.
- Multi-million dollar company involved in allegations of corruption, money laundering, RICO, theft, and tampering with records.
- Conduct corporate investigations regarding employee misconduct, financial operations, and regulatory compliance.
- Businesses in quasi-criminal/regulatory matters pursued by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, the Postal Inspector, the Business Software Alliance (BSA), and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Companies, doctors, and nurses involved in investigations by the Ohio Board of Pharmacy and Board of Nursing.